Do you also find it annoying when you are working and your drill press isn’t doing its job correctly? This happens when your drill press cannot go through the metal or other thick and tough materials smoothly. For that, you need the best drill press for metal to cope with difficult situations.
If you are looking for the best drill press for metal, then you have come to the right place. Through extensive research, we have come up with the top 5 metal drill presses that are suitable to fulfill the modern requirements. In the end, you will find our buyer’s guide to help you choose the right drill press for you.
Top 5 Drill Press For Metal Right Now
Here is the list of best drill press for metal that we have made specially to suit your requirements:
- Jet 716200 Drill Press For Metal – Best Overall
- WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press – Best Budget
- SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-inch Drill Press – Best Value
- Klutch Floor Drill Press
- General International 12 inch Commercial Benchtop Drill Press
Our Best Pick for the best drill press for metal is Jet J-25030 Model Drill Press. We choose this as our best pick as it offers multiple features and provides stability while you are working. Moreover, the noiseless operation allows you to keep an eye on your surroundings. This value for a money drill press for metal is the best choice for consumers.
Best Drill Press Right Now- Detailed Review
Find the best drill press for metal can be a challenging task when you don’t know where to start searching. Moreover, if you straightaway went to the market, you are going to get confused when you are presented with so many options.
To save your time, we have come up with the best five drill press for the metal in terms of their features, benefits, and durability. Let us directly dive into the detailed reviews so that you can make a well-informed decision after reading them.
1. Jet 716200 Drill Press For Metal – Best Overall
If you are looking for a professional drill press for metal, then Jet 716200 is your best choice. The drill press offers a high-quality finish after drilling through the thickest metal easily.
Features And Benefits
- The powerful drill press remains stable and steady as you work due to its solid build.
- The single-handed belt tension allows you to change the speed frequently.
- For safety reasons, the drill press comes with a Power Switch and a paddle-style off button.
- The drill press boasts four table slots and twin t-slot grooves to fit any project.
- With one revolution, the spindle can travel a full 3-1/8 inch to provide you ease while drilling.
- Accurate and Powerful Drilling
- Great Value for Money
- Noiseless operation
- Integrated depth stops to make repetitive drilling easy and quick.
- Sometimes, the wrench doesn’t work properly.
2. WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press – Best Budget
The 8 inches 5-speed WEN Drill Press provides you with a powerful force that can drill through wood, plastic, metals, and more. Moreover, the size is compact enough to fit any limited space at your work.
Features And Benefits
- The drill press can drill about 1/2″ hole in heavy-duty cast iron.
- The induction motor comprises of ball bearing construction that improves durability and also offer smooth performance at high speeds.
- You can set the depth adjustments of the drill for accurate operations.
- It comes with a cast iron base that eliminates the risk of wobbling and walking during operation.
- 5-Speed Operation including, 3140, 2100,1530,1100 and 740 RPM
- Storage Space to safely store your key
- Bevel the table at 45 degrees in both the left and right-angled drilling operation
- Easy repetitive and accurate actions
- Risk of Wobble
- The worktable can be too light
3. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-inch Drill Press – Best Value
If you are looking for a lightweight drill press for metal with simple features at a reasonable price, SKIL is your perfect option. It makes a great drill press for light-duty usage as per its compact size.
Features And Benefits
- With a 5-speed system and 3.2 amp motor, the drill press can drill through metal and wood efficiently.
- The drill press boasts an X2 laser, a 2-beam system that lets you accurately drill at your mark every time.
- The table lets you tilt at a 45-degree angle in both the left and right directions.
- The drill press features an adjustable depth stop for repetitive drilling and accurate measurements.
- Best for home and light usage
- Backed with three years of the limited warranty
- Not suitable for industrial use
- The table is small and unstable.
The best drill press that boasts accuracy, versatility, and power in one strong and powerful floor mount base is the Klutch Floor Drill Press.
Features And Benefits
- The drill press has about ¾ horsepower and a 120-volt motor that offers 16-speed variations for powerful and accurate operations.
- Spacious with 11-3/8 inch diameter of room on the worktable.
- With a 45-degree table tilt, it offers a multitude of drilling angles.
- The drill press provides precise adjustments for a repetitive hole through a depth lock that comes with a ball knob handle.
- Features 1 inch of maximum drilling capacity and 5/8 inch of chuck capacity.
- The speed ranges from 260-3,410 RPM.
- Vertical stroke is about 13 inches
- Built-in chuck key storage
- LED lights illuminate your work surface even in the dark
- The knobs are made of plastic and can be easily damaged.
General International is the best drill press for metal that is specifically designed for mobility. It is extremely lightweight and portable for a heavy-duty drill press.
Features And Benefits
- For accurate and precise drilling, the drill press features a globally patented laser pointer with X crosshairs.
- With a 120 V motor and 1/3 HP industrial-quality, the drill is known for its high-powered drilling.
- The drill press is equipped with high-quality bearings that offer smooth and vibration-free operation.
- You can control the speed with one hand lever comfortably while drilling.
- Weighs only 75 lbs, easy to move from one place to another
- If there is a power failure, it will restart automatically
- Superior quality bearing for noiseless and smooth operation
- Becomes noisy after some time
A Detailed Buying Guide For Best Drill Press
When it comes to finding the best drill press for metal, there are several options available in the market for you to choose from. However, before you make your final purchase, you should take a lot of factors into consideration.
In this buying guide, we will cover everything that you need to know before coming to a decision. The guide aims to assist you through your buying process.
What Are The Types Of Metal Drill Presses?
There are three different types of Metal drill presses available in the market. It is important to understand the different types so that you can comprehend which one is best for you.
Bench Metal Drill Press
Bench metal drill press is the best drill press for metal for those who have a small construction shop or work at their home. The size is smaller as compared to its peers. Although you will get the same customization options and benefits as floor metal drill, there is a decrease in the area, including speed, power, and size.
If you like a portable and compact drill press, then a bench metal press is the best choice for you.
Floor Metal Drill Press
Floor Metal Drill Press is made for commercial and industrial use. They are comparatively powerful and larger than bench metal drill presses. However, it is difficult to move this drill press because of its large size, you should put this drill press at a place where they will stay for a long time.
What Should You Look For While Purchasing The Best Drill Press?
Various factors play a crucial role in determining the strength and power of a metal drill press. Let us take a look at those factors.
Horsepower And Spindle
The first thing that you need to decide is whether you need the drill press to drill just the metal or you want to drill wood as well?
While you drill a thick metal through the press, you work very slowly for an accurate result. A drill press provides stability, but the speed varies from model to model. However, you do not need high speed for wood, you need a drill whose speed you can adjust.
You need to be careful and pay particular attention to the overall speed of the drill press along with the spindle.
Drilling Pressure Control
The drill press allows you total control over the speed and how deep you want to drill. However, you need to be careful about drilling pressure control.
With the feature of drilling pressure control, you can get the best drill press for metal. The feature allows you to set the pressure of the drill once it has passed through the metal.
Metal Working Table
The standard work table allows you to place your metal in the desired position to achieve the required design. However, the size of the workplace determines how large a piece of metal you can place on your worktable.
You should look for work tables that are equipped with grooves so that you can keep your metal piece stable during the drilling. There is some work table that allows you to remove the drill press and adjust the table size to fit your metal piece.
Build Quality And Durability
The high-quality metal drill presses are made from metal, either steel or any regular metal. You should avoid purchasing metal drill press made from malleable material or plastic as they are not durable and won’t last long.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Precautions Should You Take While Working With Drill Press?
The very first thing you need to check is that you have easy access to the emergency stop button and the on/off button on the drill press. Second, always wear safety gloves and do not wear any loose clothing or jewelry that might get stuck. Third, make sure you secure the material with a drill vise or a clamp.
2. Can You Pair A Drill Press For Metal With Other Accessories?
Yes, you can pair your drill press with other accessories. For example, you can attach a work light that you can turn on and off as per your requirement. You can also include a storage bin so that you can easily access drill bits.
3. How To Maintain A Metal Drill Press?
The best drill press does not require much maintenance. If you find your drill press is getting dirty, you can clean it with a cloth or use some lubricant that is suitable for metal.
What Is The Best Drill Press: Our Top Three Picks
In this review guide, we have come up with our top three picks in terms of best overall, best budget, and best value. Our top pick is Jet 716200 Drill Press For Metal. In terms of quality, durability, and operation, this machine is the best drill press for metal you can find in the market. The smooth and noiseless operation allows you to work efficiently without causing any disturbance on the outside.
If you are tight on budget, we have the best drill press for you. That is WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press. It is the best drill press for those looking for a small and compact drill machine but offers exceptional power.
What if you can get the best price and best features in the same model. We have picked the best value model for the metal drill press, which is SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-inch Drill Press. The drill press offers you enough control and confidence while performing accurate and precise drilling.
It could be easy for you to make the wrong choice in choosing the best drill press for metal when you don’t have enough information by your side. The models available in this guide are capable of drilling the thicker metals efficiently and smoothly.
Now with all the models are here in front of you, you can choose the one that fits your requirements.
Bonus video: How to Drill a Hole in Metal (1/4″ Steel)
Thank you for reading!