Floor plans are a drawing that shows the layout of home or property from the top-view. Typically, floor plans show us the location of windows, walls, stairs, and doors. It may also include measurements of appliances, furniture, and many other things.
You can use FloorPlanner, Smartdraw, SketchUp, and other software available on the internet to draw floor plans. This software allows one to design and plan floor plans online. With this, you can easily learn how to draw a floor plan for your home or any building.
Floor plans are significant when you design and build a home. It is crucial to learn to design because it creates systematic homes and increases its value.
How to Draw A Floor Plan?
These are some steps that you must follow to know how to draw a floor plan.
First, decide the area which has to be drawn. If the building is to be done from scratch, you have to think about designs according to the location’s shape and size.
If the building is already built, you have to decide how many parts of the building are drawn.
Now Take Measurements
If the building is not present, you must ensure that the total area fits the building. It is advised that you must also examine the other buildings made in that area, which will help estimate floor plans’ length.
If the building is already present, then you must measure the doors, walls, and furniture. This will help in making an exact floor plan.
Now you should add walls to all rooms present in the building. Always remember to take special care while drawing to the scale.
Add Other Features
You can also add features to all spaces present in the plan by including windows, doors, refrigerators, and dryers. If there are any other important articles, then they must also be placed in their position.
Add those features and furniture as per floor requirements. This will help in a better representation of the building.
Characteristics of A Good Floor Plan
Always make sure that the rooms are flexible.
It means that the rooms should be so versatile that storerooms can be used as bathrooms. You should be able to modify rooms easily.
If you are going to design any hall or room, always keep in mind how many people will be using that room. Is there any space to move from one place to another? Can furniture be kept in these rooms?
Only after considering all these things you should design the room.
Some things must be kept in mind, firstly, the bedrooms must be kept in isolated places. Secondly, bathrooms should not face halls, living rooms, or dining rooms. Ask your clients what their preference is. For example, several people want to have their kitchens open in front of the dining or living rooms.
Finding A Balance Between Practical Considerations and Architectural Details
Always think about the safety of people who will reside in the building. Special care must be taken regarding heating bills, cooling bills, cleaning, the safety of kids. Always think twice before including any big windows or stairs in the design.
Tips for making the perfect floor plans
Just by taking careful measurements, you can save yourself from a lot of trouble. These are a few tips that should be kept in mind while making floor plans.
- When you measure all the existing spaces, the first thing you must do is keep the measuring tape flat on the floor. Now measure the dimensions of the room at all places. It would be best if you did it properly, especially in areas where the furniture is kept.
Also, it would be best if you never assumed that the walls are parallel. Always measure them.
- Before drawing furniture, always make sure that the windows are not present there. Also, check the locations of light switches, electric receptors, thermostats, and vents.
- While placing a desk’s location, ask yourself several questions: What would you like to see when sitting on the desk?
- If you plan to draw an office, then first check if the owner wants to sit on his desk while facing his back. People have different opinions regarding this, so always make sure to ask what the owner wants.
All other directions will be according to the owner’s choice.
- Try to avoid keeping computer monitors facing the windows.
- Keep space in front of all filing cabinets so that you can properly open the cabinet drawers. Then additional 18 inches must also be included for the person who will be opening the filing cabinets.
- Sufficient working and standing space must be kept in between desks and cubicles. Distance between furniture or wall and the desk’s working side must be at the very least up to 42 inches. If the owner wants the space to be comfortable, then space can be up to 54 to 60 inches or more.
- Never keep all furniture along the walls. Try to break the space by keeping furniture in different rooms.
Setting up sofas, rugs, and other furniture must be kept in angles. This will remove the rigid feeling along the wall.
- Walking distance between the wall and a piece of furniture must be at least 30 inches (or up to 36 inches) in the case of residential space.
- The walking distance between the wall and piece of furniture should be at least 36 inches; 42 inches is preferred in public space.
- If you place furniture in a residential plan, always remember that furniture must be kept around 2 or 3 inches apart from the wall.
Real estate buyers often consider floor plans before buying properties. Floor plans are one of the important aspects before buying any property. Most buyers ignore properties that do not have a floor plan.
Learning how to draw floor plan designs is very important. Floor plans are also considered more important than photos or description of the property. All these factors make floor plans an essential aspect while making property deals.
Thank you for reading!